Buying a new mattress can be an overwhelming process if you try to research every mattress type, style and manufacturer. There are tens of thousands of mattress websites and over 600 mattress manufacturers in the U.S. alone. Each manufacturer offers a plethora of mattress models that vary in construction, quality and even the model names differ between retailers. New technologies and improvements are constantly being introduced into the marketplace. There is a ton of information out there on the vast highways of the internet. But how do you make sense of all of it? Here are a list of some do's and don'ts while mattress shopping to help alleviate some of the confusion.
5 Mattress Buying Tips to Help You Find the Right Mattress
1. Do: Wear comfortable clothes
Mattress buying is all about experiencing the comfort and support that a mattress offers. Wear clothes that allow you to easily get on and off the bed or turn over on your side. Don't wear clothing items that are bulky. Remove your jacket or coat before you begin testing.
2. Don't: Be fooled by phony sales and discounts
If you see the same sale week after week, is it really a sale? Many times retailers raise the price and offer substantial discounts off of the inflated price, which means you aren't really getting a discount.
3. Do: Check out the retailer at the Better Business Bureau site
The BBB site can alert you to potential problems with retailers. Solid retailers will address all customer complaints with the Better Business Bureau. Shop retailers that have a history or resolving issues with their customers.
4. Don't: Pay attention to the price in the beginning
Let your body dictate what you type of mattress feels best. Trust your instincts. Narrow down to the type of mattress that you desire and then try out the different price points in that category.
5. Do: Try the mattresses in the position in which you sleep
Lying down on a mattress in an unfamiliar environment with a stranger watching you can be an odd experience. But you will have this mattress for a long time, so make yourself comfortable and really try them out.
- Always inquire about the retailer's comfort exchange and return policy. Ours can be found here.
- Don't sell yourself short. Ideally, you will sleep in this mattress for the next every night for 8 hours over the next 10+ years. Invest in the quality of your sleep and your body and mind will thank you.
- Often retailers have floor demo models or closeout mattresses at discounted prices. Don't hesitate to ask.
Sleep Well St. Louis!!